COM-400, Debate & Forensics Team
- Other Resources
- Search Strategies
Selected Reference Resources
If off campus, login with your Novel username and password.
Current, controversial topics with supporting documents.
- CQ Researcher
Background, chronology, maps, charts, issues, pros/cons and more; current social or political "hot topic"; non-biased and authoritative
Under Browse Reports choose Pro/Con then select a topic.
- GREENR: Global Reference on the Environment, Energy & Natural Resources
Use Advanced Search
to select or limit by document type and content type.
of View Reference
Overview, point, counterpoint; articles, primary sources, news briefs, and more.
Pros and cons of controversial issues supported by statistical evidence, articles, primary sources, news briefs, and more.
- includes links to "Top Pro & Con Quotes"
If off campus, login
with your Novel username and password.
- Academic Search Complete -- Articles; multidisciplinary
- America: History and Life -- Journals published worldwide on U.S. & Canadian history and culture from prehistory - present. 196+ full-text journals; 1,700 journals indexed; 92+ books
Use American History CLIO Notes to browse chronologies of historical events/themes.
- CountryWatch -- Critical country-specific intelligence; Socio-demographic, cultural, economic, political, historical, environmental and investment information, along with news, analysis, maps, data and many non-sovereign nations. User Guide PDF CountryWatch More...
- Google Scholar -- Peer-reviewed articles; some indexing and full text; includes links to ORU database articles.
- GPO --
U.S. government publications -- Covers all types of U.S. gov. documents, including Congressional reports, hearings, debates, and records; judiciary materials; and documents issued by executive departments (Defense, State, Labor, Office of the President, etc.).
- Historical Abstracts with Full Text -- Covers history of the world (excluding the U.S. & Canada), focusing on the 15th century forward. Full text of 400+ journals and 140+ books; indexing of historical articles from 2,600+ journals dating back to 1954.
- Humanities International Complete -- ~1,200 full-text journals and 750+ books indexed in Humanities International Index.
- Political Science Complete -- Contains 480+ full text journals; indexing and abstracts for 2,100+ journals related to contemporary political discourse.
Newspapers, News Services
- CATO Institute --
Public policy organization; scholars and analysts conduct independent, nonpartisan research on a wide range of policy issues.
- NCPA: National Center for Policy Analysis
- OYEX: U.S. Supreme Court Media -- A multimedia archive devoted to the U.S. Supreme Court and its work.
- The PEW Charitable Trusts (State and Consumer Initiatives) --
An independent nonprofit organization; "to improve public policy, inform the public and stimulate civic life." Includes an interactive map to explore projects and work by state.
- The World Factbook - (CIA) Provides information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues for 267 world entities.
- The WWW Virtual Library: International Affairs Resources
Search the Web, examples:
your topic statistics site:.gov
your topic 1 your topic 2 fact sheet site:.gov
||Use to search different concepts together. Produces fewer results.
children AND evangelism
||Use to link similar terms; group with parenthesis; produces more results
(children OR child) AND (evangelism OR evangelize)
||Use to specify a term you do not want in the search results.
(children OR child) AND (evangelism OR evangelize) NOT school
Excludes results with school.
||Searches the ROOT of a word ended with *
child* AND evangel* NOT school
Searches: child, children AND evangel, evangelism, evangelical, evangelized,
|Use fewer concepts
||Increases number of results
child* AND evangel*
|Use more concepts
||Decreases number of results
child* AND (outreach OR evangel*) AND inner AND city
||Use quotation marks; Refines search
child* AND (outreach OR evangel*) AND “inner
city” AND “New York”
Examples: ethical or moral arguments/viewpoints (see the Tips tab above for additional search helps)
Possible keywords: debate, moral and ethical aspects, ethics, bioethics, scientific ethics, philosophical or religious objections, ethical dilemma, moral argument, association, effect, cause, view*
• "human cloning" AND (moral or ethic*) AND (pros or cons) or debate
• animal testing AND (debate or objection*) AND (philosophical or religious or ethic*)
• (ethical or moral) AND (video games and violence)
• (ethical or moral) AND (video games and violence) AND (study or research or "recent findings")
• DE "research -- moral & ethical aspects" AND nanomedicine (DE=subject heading)
Sample topic: Should students be required to wear school uniforms?
Possible keywords: school uniforms, effect, improve, academic achievement, student rights, prevention, school violence, First Amendment, improve academic performance, learning environment
• DE "school uniforms" AND improv* AND (academic or learning) (6 results in Education Research Complete; 20 results in ERC and Academic Search Complete)
• "school uniforms" AND pros and cons AND (academic or learning (4 results in ERC and ASC)
• "school uniforms" (~1,126 results in Points of View Reference Center)
School Uniforms: An Overview
Point: The High Cost of School Uniforms
Counterpoint: School Dress Codes Improve the Learning Environment
Sample topic: The effects of U.S. Supreme Court decisions on juvenile drug offenders
supreme court cases, history, chronology, juvenile sentences, juvenile courts, advocates, convictions, juvenile corrections, violent offenders vs. non-violent offenders, outcomes, effects, criminal procedures, repeat offenders, etc.
• juvenile AND (conviction* or sentenc*) AND drug AND (violent or non-violent) (167 results, in Academic Search Complete, SocINDEX with Full Text, America: History and Life with Full Text, Military & Government Collection, Political Science Complete)
• DE "DISCRIMINATION in juvenile justice administration" OR DE "TRIAL & sentencing of children as adults" (76 results, in ASC, SocINDEX, America: History and Life, Military & Government Collection, PSC)
• U.S. Supreme Court AND cases AND juvenile AND drug AND (conviction* or sentenc*) (4 results, in ASC, SocINDEX, America: History and Life, Military & Government Collection, PSC)
CTRL + F (or Edit > Find on this page) --
Key in a term to quickly browse a page or document.
Date -- Use the database "limit to" or "refine" options.
Document types --
Limit to documents you need. For example, in Points of View Reference the default format is Points of View (shown below ). To see other document types checkmark items in the list.
Sort results -- Use sort options, such as date (newest), to put the most current articles at the top of the list.
Searching -- Philosophical and ethical controversies
Browse and select relevant subjects to search, such as those listed below. Try several subject searches. Save the general search in your folder to bring up later so that you only need add key concepts to the search.
DE "Research -- Moral & ethical aspects" (~1,867 results; DE=subject heading) Add relevant terms to the search for a list of articles on a chosen topic.
DE "Moral & ethical aspects" (5,413 results)
= vendor's database description
OneSearch (EBSCO's Integrated Search Interface)