|Drama/Theatre - Article Databases
Use these to find articles, essays, book reviews, conference papers and more in scholarly journals and magazines. Some databases include books and
some include web site links with abstracts.
- Communication & Mass
- Communication Studies
- Film & Television
Literature Index with Full Text
- Google Scholar Free on the Web More...
Bibliography of Theater & Dance with Full Text EBSCO
- For a list of publications click Publication in the top menu. Click on a title name to view the record then select a year/issue to read. Or, use the
checkboxes to mark several title names to search.
- Oxford Music Online More...
articles on composers, performers, conductors, instruments and notation, forms and genres, and individual works. Database has f
ull text of The
Oxford Companion to Music
and The Oxford Dictionary of Music
: Keyword or browse the Subject Entries
See: Oxford Tips for Users
Guides & Timelines
- History/ Humanities Databases
- CLIO Notes in America: History and Life and Historical Abstracts databases allow you to browse through chronologies of significant historical events
History and Life with Full Text EBSCO
- Indexes 1,700 journals published worldwide on the history of the U.S. and Canada; prehistory to the present. Full text of
196+ journals & 92+ books.
Abstracts with Full Text EBSCO
- History of the world (military, women's, history of education, etc.) from 1450 to present (excludes U.S. & Canada). Full text of
330+ journals & 110+ books.
International Complete EBSCO
- Indexes 2,200+ journals. Full text of nearly 1,200 journals & 750+ book.
Use the "More..." link after a database name to go to the vendor's database description.
Drama/Theatre - Books and Call Numbers
Try a library
catalog subject search for "drama," "theater" or
other related subject, and then drill down to your area of interest. If the book you find is an ebook, click "View content of ...E-Book" in the
record to go to the full text.
For more precise searching, try a library catalog
advanced search and combine a subject with a relevant keyword. For example, Subject: English theater and Keyword:
of Congress Classification Outline: Class P - Language and Literature (choose Subclass PN), to identify call number sections for drama and theatre.
Once you have call numbers you can use them to:
- browse the shelves in areas of your interest
- search the library catalog
- identify ebooks in your subject area
Sample call number list:
PN1635-1650 Relation to, and treatment of, special subjects
PN1660-1693 Technique of dramatic composition
PN1865-1988 Special types
PN1991-1991.9 Radio broadcasts
PN1992-1992.92 Television broadcasts
PN1992.93-19 92.95 Nonbroadcast video recordings
PN1993-1999 Motion pictures
PN1997-1997.85 Plays, scenarios, etc.
PN2000-3307 Dramatic representation. The theater
PN2061-2071 Art of acting
PN2085-2091 The stage and accessories
PN2131-2193 By period
PN2219.3-3030 Special regions or countries
PN3035 The Jewish theater
PN3151-3171 Amateur theater
• Modified LC Classification Outline as used by ORU
of Congress Call Numbers for Theatre by Carol Hansen
For general information on books see How to Find..Books & ebook
Drama/Theatre - ORU ebooks
- ebrary : Theater ~299
ebooks, Drama ~499
at the Crossroads of Culture, by Patrice Pavis (Loren Kruger, translator)
Performance: A History of New Media in Theater, Dance, Performance Art, and Installation; by Steve Dixon
Checkhov, by David Allen
Drama and the Invention of Rhetoric, by David Sanson
- For the most recently published ebooks to appear at the top of the list, change "Sort
results by" from Relevance to Date.
- To view chapter ranking, perform a search then click the Chapter
browse document titles that are in a specific call number section, (example shown to the right)
1. Use Advanced search.
2. Change Search in menu to LC Call Number.
the call number(s) then click Search ebrary.
Collection: Performing Arts/Theater/History & Criticism ~12 ebooks
Collection: Theatre (keyword search) ~240 ebooks
- In eBook Collections, reading the full text is limited to 1-5 simultaneous users per title.
- Search: Use
advanced search, type a subject such as drama, and then change Select a Field (optional) to Subject.
- Library Guide: For general ebook information see How to Find...Books & ebook
Drama/Theatre - Reference Materials
academic journals, reference works, magazines, websites, and news.
Search: Click Browse People in the top menu bar then choose a category. Or, use the advanced search options, such as company
name, place name or subject.
- Examples: Arthur
Miller | Company
- Credo Reference Center : Theater (topic
- Includes ~510+ online full text reference titles.
- Sample Search: Philosophy
Sample Concept map: dramaturgy | theater | theatre | the
- Sample ebooks:
Cambridge Guide to Theatre
Pop Culture in ...! Media, Arts. and Lifestyle: Performing
- The Pop Culture books include entries for Theater and Performance, Traditional Theatre, Role Types, Actions and Movements, Scenery and Costumes, the
Stage and more.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library:
Virtual Reference Library: theatre
- In the Library, LRC-4th Floor
- The print Reference Collection includes handbooks, subject dictionaries and encyclopedias, history and criticism and more.
To find reference titles, use the Library catalog and limit to Reference Collection.
Reference books for drama | theater
- General Reference Works
- Encyclopædia Britannica Free
on the Web
- Summary and in-depth articles on every branch of human knowledge.
- Funk & Wagnalls
New World Encyclopedia
- Over tens of thousands of entries searchable by subject or keyword
- Includes The World Almanac and Book of Facts, The World Almanac of the U.S.A., The World Almanac of U.S. Politics, The World Almanac
for Kids, The World Almanac Knowledge Source, and Funk & Wagnalls New Encyclopedia.
Source Plus EBSCO
Search all issues of the publication or select a date to browse.
EBSCO's limiters in the left sidebar to refine your search results.
Limiters are available for Scholarly (Peer Reviewed) Journals, Publication Date, Source Types, Subjects and Publications.
For example, you may
choose to limit to Subject: THEATRE -- Reviews (shown left) and U.S. Newspapers.
Library Guide: For general
newspaper information see How to Find...Newspapers.
Drama/Theatre - Websites
Some ORU databases include records, links, and abstracts for websites, web
portals and other electronic publications. When searching for web resources in databases, use descriptive keywords and subjects, such as web
portals, web sites, electronic resources, and electronic resources.
American Variety Stage: Vaudeville and Popular Entertainment 1870-1920
"...a multimedia anthology selected from various Library of Congress holdings. " Includes
illustrations, play scripts, playbills and programs, sound recordings, and more. memory.loc.gov/ammem/vshtml/vshome.html
The Art and Science of Theater
Learn how to stage a theatrical production, including finding a script, auditioning actors, building a set, and designing the lighting. Study the history of western theater
from the time of ancient Greece to the twentieth century. Find out about authors and their plays which have made an impact on the development of theater. library.thinkquest.org/21722/
ArtsAlive English Theatre
Find out how design and production, actors, playwrights, directors, and others come together to produce a performance. Includes glossary of commonly used theatre terms. www.artsalive.ca/en/eth/
Learn about this PBS series that explores the influences, inspirations, and conflicts that have shaped the course of theatre. Includes biographies of significant people,
timeline of important theatre events, and links to other theatre resources. www.pbs.org/wnet/changingstages/
IPL2 -- Entertainment & Leisure: Theatre
List of annotated about theatre selected by librarians. www.ipl.org/
Music Theatre International http://www.mtishows.com
News and current events related to Broadway, off Broadway, regional theatre, etc. www.playbill.com/
Vaudeville and Popular Entertainment, 1870-1920
Provided by the Library of Congress. A multimedia collection from the Library of Congress. http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/vshtml/vshome.html
WWW Virtual Library: Theatre and Drama
Gateway to international online articles, journals, museums, organizations and theatre companies and annotated links to a collections of theatre images. www.vl-theatre.com/