- Books/Call #
|Drama/Theatre - Article Databases
Use these to find articles, essays, book reviews, conference papers and more in scholarly journals and magazines. Some databases may include book chapters;
some now include web site links with abstracts.
Search Complete EBSCO More...
- Communication & Mass
Media Complete EBSCO More...
- Communication Studies SAGE More...
- Film & Television
Literature Index with Full Text
- Google Scholar Free on the Web More...
Bibliography of Theater & Dance with Full Text EBSCO
- For a list of publications click Publication in the top menu. Click a title to view the record and select a year/issue to read. Or, mark several title
items to search.
- Oxford Music Online More...
articles on composers, performers, conductors, instruments and notation, forms and genres, and individual works. Database has f
of The Oxford Companion to Music
and The Oxford Dictionary of Music
: Keyword or browse the Subject Entries
See: Oxford Tips for Users
Guides & Timelines
- History/ Humanities Databases
- CLIO Notes in America: History and Life and Historical Abstracts databases allow you to browse through chronologies
of significant historical events and themes.
History and Life with Full Text EBSCO
- Indexes 1,700 journals published worldwide on the history of the U.S. and Canada; prehistory to the present. Full text of
196+ journals & 92+ books.
Abstracts with Full Text EBSCO
- History of the world (military, women's, history of education, etc.) from 1450 to present (excludes U.S. & Canada). Full text of
330+ journals & 110+ books.
International Complete EBSCO
- Indexes 2,200+ journals. Full text of nearly 1,200 journals & 750+ book.
Drama/Theatre - Books and Call Numbers
Try a library
catalog subject search for "drama," "theater" or
other related subject, and then drill down to your area of interest. If the book you find is an ebook, click "View content of ...E-Book" in the
record to go to the full text.
For more precise searching, try a library catalog
advanced search and combine a subject with a relevant keyword. For example, Subject: English theater and Keyword:
of Congress Classification Outline: Class P - Language and Literature (choose Subclass PN), to identify call number sections for drama and theatre.
Once you have call numbers you can use them to:
- browse the shelves in areas of your interest
- search the library catalog
- identify ebooks in your subject area
Sample call number list:
PN1635-1650 Relation to, and treatment of, special subjects
PN1660-1693 Technique of dramatic composition
PN1865-1988 Special types
PN1991-1991.9 Radio broadcasts
PN1992-1992.92 Television broadcasts
PN1992.93-19 92.95 Nonbroadcast video recordings
PN1993-1999 Motion pictures
PN1997-1997.85 Plays, scenarios, etc.
PN2000-3307 Dramatic representation. The theater
PN2061-2071 Art of acting
PN2085-2091 The stage and accessories
PN2131-2193 By period
PN2219.3-3030 Special regions or countries
PN3035 The Jewish theater
PN3151-3171 Amateur theater
• Modified LC Classification Outline as used by ORU
of Congress Call Numbers for Theatre by Carol Hansen
For general information on books see How to Find..Books & ebook
Drama/Theatre - ORU ebooks
- ebrary : Theater ~150
ebooks, Drama ~240
For the most recently published ebooks to appear at the top of the list change "Sort
results by" from Relevance to Date.
a search. Click the Chapter Results tab to view the 20 most relevant chapters from your ebooks results list.
browse ebrary titles in a specific call number section (shown right):
Use Advanced search. Change Search in menu to LC Call Number. Type
the call numbers. Click Search ebrary.
Collection: Performing Arts/Theater/History & Criticism (category) 12 ebooks
Collection: theatre (keyword search) 239 ebooks
- Note: Reading the full text is limited to 1-5 simultaneous users per title.
- Search: Use advanced search, type a subject such as drama, and then change Select a Field (optional) to Subject.
- Library Guide: For general ebook information see How to Find...Books & ebook
Drama/Theatre - Reference Materials
- Scroll the topic page to see categories of the results, such as reference, news, academic journals, websites, etc.
- Example: Arthur
Miller (shown right)
- Credo Reference Center : Theater (topic
- 510+ online full text reference titles.
- Sample Search: Philosophy
- Sample ebooks::
Pop Culture in ...! Media, Arts. and Lifestyle: Performing
- Concept Map examples: dramaturgy or theatre
- Gale Virtual Reference Library:
Virtual Reference Library: theatre
- In the Library, LRC-4th Floor
The print Reference Collection includes handbooks, subject dictionaries and encyclopedias, history and criticism and more. To find reference titles, use
the Library catalog and limit to Reference Collection.
Reference books for drama | theater
- General Reference Works
- Encyclopædia Britannica Free
on the Web
- Summary and in-depth articles on every branch of human knowledge.
- Funk & Wagnalls
New World Encyclopedia
- Over tens of thousands of entries searchable by subject or keyword
- Includes The World Almanac and Book of Facts, The World Almanac of the U.S.A., The World Almanac of U.S. Politics, The World Almanac
for Kids, The World Almanac Knowledge Source, and Funk & Wagnalls New Encyclopedia.
Source Plus EBSCO
Search all issues of the publication or select a date to browse.
EBSCO's limiters in the left sidebar to refine your search results.
Limiters are available for Scholarly (Peer Reviewed) Journals, Publication Date, Source Types, Subjects and Publications.
For example, you may
choose to limit to Subject: THEATRE -- Reviews (shown left) and U.S. Newspapers.
Library Guide: For general
newspaper information see How to Find...Newspapers.
Drama/Theatre - Periodicals & eJournals
A-to-Z Journals List (journals, magazines, trade publications,
Journal Titles by Subject
Arts. Show business ~15 Titles
Library Guide: For general information see: How to Find...Periodicals (Journals, Magazines, etc.)
Drama/Theatre - Websites
Some ORU databases include records, links, and abstracts for websites, web
portals and other electronic publications. When searching for web resources in databases, use descriptive keywords and subjects, such as web
portals, web sites, electronic resources, and electronic resources.
- American Variety Stage: Vaudeville and Popular Entertainment 1870-1920
- "...a multimedia anthology selected from various Library of Congress holdings. " Includes illustrations, play scripts, playbills and programs, sound recordings,
and more. memory.loc.gov/ammem/vshtml/vshome.html
- The Art and Science of Theater
- Learn how to stage a theatrical production, including finding a script, auditioning actors, building a set, and designing the lighting. Study the history of western theater
from the time of ancient Greece to the twentieth century. Find out about authors and their plays which have made an impact on the development of theater. library.thinkquest.org/21722/
- ArtsAlive English Theatre
- Find out how design and production, actors, playwrights, directors, and others come together to produce a performance. Includes glossary of commonly used theatre terms. www.artsalive.ca/en/eth/
- Changing Stages
- Learn about this PBS series that explores the influences, inspirations, and conflicts that have shaped the course of theatre. Includes biographies of significant people,
timeline of important theatre events, and links to other theatre resources. www.pbs.org/wnet/changingstages/
- IPL2 -- Entertainment & Leisure: Theatre
- List of annotated about theatre selected by librarians. www.ipl.org/
- Music Theatre International http://www.mtishows.com
- News and current events related to Broadway, off Broadway, regional theatre, etc. www.playbill.com/
- Vaudeville and Popular Entertainment, 1870-1920
- Provided by the Library of Congress. A multimedia collection from the Library of Congress. http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/vshtml/vshome.html
- WWW Virtual Library: Theatre and Drama
- Gateway to international online articles, journals, museums, organizations and theatre companies and annotated links to a collections of theatre images. www.vl-theatre.com/