|Government - Article Databases
Use the databases to find articles, essays, book reviews, conference papers and more in scholarly journals and magazines. Some databases may include full-text books.
- Academic Search Complete
History and Life with Full Text
- "CLIO Notes for America: History & Life will guide you through subjects in United States history, by allowing you to browse through chronologies and brief summaries of significant events and themes in American history. On the main screen, you will find a list of major time periods and events. Each of these is further divided into subtopics that display informative essays and suggestions for further research. Linked subject terms are also provided, which allow you to search the entire America: History and Life database for articles, book and media reviews, and dissertations."
- Google Scholar
- Peer-reviewed articles; some indexing, some free full text; now includes links to articles in ORU databases
- GPO-U.S. Government Publications FirstSearch
Abstracts with Full Text EBSCO
"CLIO Notes for Historical Abstracts will guide you through subjects in World History since 1450 (excluding the United States and Canada), by allowing you to browse through chronologies and brief summaries of significant events and themes in modern history. On the main screen, you will find a list of major time periods and events. Each of these is further divided into subtopics that display informative essays and suggestions for further research. Linked subject terms are also provided, which allow you to search the entire Historical Abstracts database for articles, book citations and dissertations."
International Complete EBSCO
- Political Science
Government - Books and eBooks
ebrary: Political Science (4,193 documents)
Do a search. Click the Chapter
to view the 20 most relevant chapters from your ebooks results list.
ebrary titles in a specific call number section (shown right):
Use Advanced search. Change Search in menu to LC Call Number. Type
the call numbers(see LC outlines). Click Search
It's like browsing virtual ebrary shelves.
Collection (Previously the NetLibrary collection)
For general information on
ebooks see: Find...Books & ebooks
Government - Reference Materials
- Points of
View Reference Center
essays that present multiple sides of 270+ current issues, each with an overview (objective background/description), point (argument), counterpoint (opposing
argument), and Critical Thinking Guide. (not
integrated with other EBSCOhost databases)
Search: Advanced keyword, Browse by Category, View All Topics
Special Feature: Includes Primary Source Documents
- Credo Reference Center
- 510+ online full text reference titles.
- Special Feature: Concept Map - see terrorism example
- Sample titles:
Culture in ...! Media, Arts. and Lifestyle
In the Library, LRC-4th Floor
The print Reference Collection includes handbooks, subject dictionaries and encyclopedias, history and criticism and more. To find specific reference
titles, use the Library catalog and limit your results to "Reference Collection."
Reference Collection books for:
Subject -- political science | United States --
are shelved in Library of Congress (LC) call number order, so similar subjects will be shelved next to each other.
Reference books cannot be checked; however, some titles may have a duplicate in the main collection that is available for checkout. Search the title you need in the library catalog
to see if the book is located elsewhere in the library and availability for checkout.
Try the tools listed below to copy/paste/edit citations, as needed, to match your assignment requirements. Always check the citation references for accuracy with the print style manual.
BOOKS in the ORU Library
If you use a book from the library, do a title keyword search in the library catalog, access the record, and then click How do I Cite this? (circled in the image below). Select the correct citation style (MLA) then copy/paste/edit the citation in your works cited list.
BOOKS not in the ORU Library Catalog
Go to WorldCat.org and search the book title.
Click the title to access the detailed record.
Click the Cite/Export link (shown right). Click a citation style then copy/paste/edit the citation, as needed.
Learn more: WorldCat.org Citation Tools
(YouTube 1:47 mins.)
JOURNAL ARTICLES in an Online Database
In an EBSCO database, such as Academic Search Complete, use the Cite link in the "Tools" menu on the right sidebar, (The "Tools" menu is only available on the detailed record; it is not on the results page.)
Government - Periodicals & eJournals
A-to-Z Journals List (journals, magazines, trade publications, etc.)
A-to-Z: Political Science ~1,511
Sample full-text journal titles:
- For general information see the library guide How to Find...Periodicals (Journals, Magazines, etc.)
Government - Internet Resources
- Statistics and Data
- The Gallup Organization
- Polls on social issues, ethics, values, etc <h.ttp://www.gallup.com>
Public interest statistics from over 100 U.S. Federal agencies.
FedStats: Statistical Reference Shelf
- See: Library Guide Government Internet Resources